Saturday, September 11, 2010

Flagstaff in the DR

First, I posted a few pictures onto my last blog, but they in no way relate to the text. The first picture was taken at the cocao plantation in Yamasa, and the second two are the PC training center in Santo Domingo. You can see what a beautiful facility we had for our first three weeks of service...

Yet we have moved on to Constanza, and I am in love!

This place has got to be one of the most beautiful places in the DR. When I post pictures of this place you probably won't believe that they were taken on this island. The surrounding mountains resemble Flagstaff more than any mountains I would have expected to find in the Carribean. The city of Constanza has a panoramic view of these mountains and is set at 5,000 feet elevation. It is known for its agriculture. This area supplies most of the country with lettuce, cabbage, garlic, cilantro, etc. This morning I went for a run and could smell the garlic and cilantro as I ran past small fields, or fincas, lined with pigs and cows. Seriously, this place is amazing. To top it all off, there is zero humidity here AND I get to sleep with a blanket at night. I am quite happy here!

My host family here is also very nice, but different than my Santo Domingo family. I live with a young woman and her two boys, Luis Alberto (age 8) and Alberto Luis (age 4). Yes, they have the same name but in reverse order. The father lives in Missouri and sends money back to the mother. (Remittances are the second largest source of income for Dominicans!). The family is very generous and they have given me Luis Alberto and Alberto Luis' room to stay in for the next 5 weeks. I have my own bathroom and tv... this is a life of luxury. I want to appreciate these amenities while I have them, because I have no idea what my permanent site will be like!

Tonight I am meeting the youth group I will be working with for the next month. I am working with a group of 4 other volunteers to prepare a community diagnostic which is due on Thursday. We have already learned a lot in the last two days and I suspect the same level of intensity will remain throughout our stay in Constanza.

I will post pictures of this area soon!!!

2 comments:

  1. So cool Merry! I didn't realize you'd be living in the mountains for 5 weeks! That's great. Is the air cleaner up there? I would assume so. what does the husband do? Also, how can he send money without it being stolen in the mail?

    ReplyDelete