Saturday, March 12, 2011

Visits and a dog

My dad just left Santo Domingo and it was certainly great to introduce him to my new home. We spent about 4 days in Bani and I showed him all around my neighborhood and the pueblo; he also got to meet tons of people in my community. After our tour of Bani we spent a couple nights of luxury on the beach and in the capital. It was great to end the vacation with some swimming and cable tv. My dad’s visit was wonderful and I loved showing him around. Like Lauren and Abby’s visit, acting as a tour guide in the DR made me realize how happy I am to be living here and how lucky I really am. I have certainly learned a lot about myself and Dominican culture in the last seven months.

It’s been about a month since I began my first project and it seems to be going well. As I said before, I decided to focus my efforts on a mentoring group at the local school in my barrio. It certainly took a while to get everything set in motion. The most unexpected obstacles arose, such as school cancellations, Valentine’s Day celebrations, and an Independence Day march around the block -- but since I last wrote I have had 3 group sessions, so overall I have been relatively successful! When I began recruiting for my group I felt like I was begging girls to come to my information sessions. I swear, I spent about two weeks talking about this service group as if it were cool and exclusive, like only a select girls could join (I guess that’s all true to some extent), but all this talk must have worked, because I had nearly 20 girls in attendance last week! We had a full session of creating the group rules, deciding on the group name ( Super Mujeres de EnseƱanzas), playing a dinamica, and doing some art. If you are wondering what a dinamica is, it’s basically an ice-breaker activity. I remember hating those back in the States, but here the Dominicans eat those activities up. They just love them! The other day we played a game called Peso Caliente, where two groups compete against each other by forming two lines and each person drops a peso in her shirt until it falls to the ground. Once it hits the ground the next person must do the same until everyone in the group has dropped a peso down their clothes. It sounds weird but Peso Caliente is always a huge hit in this country.

In addition to my mentoring group I am also starting to lay the framework for my Escojo group. I am currently coordinating a sports day for youth, basically for anyone interested in Escojo to hang out and ask questions before we begin the group. A few days after the sports day I will start my Escojo group, so that should fall in the end of the month. I am definitely excited to start up another project in addition to the mentoring group.

Lately Peace Corps hasn’t felt like such a lonely experience after all. There are probably several reasons for this sentiment (for example, I spent a fabulous week with Abby and Lauren and my Dad just left), but tonight my companionship is coming from my new dog-child, Bella. I received my 2-month-yr-old Chihuahua a couple weeks ago and she has instantly become my baby. She arrived in my arms full of ticks, some balding spots on her face and a bloated belly; but after just one week she already looked much, much better. Maybe I am biased but I think she is absolutely adorable. It has certainly been worth the potty training and extra cleaning to open my home to Bella. Having a Chihuahua has certainly amplified my status in the community as well. Neighbors and strangers alike often point at me as I walk with Bella. Thanks to my new puppy I am one step closer to full Dominican acculturation.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear of the update on your mentoring project Merry...it sounds like you're off to a great start! The Escojo group seems like it will be another way for you to engage the youth of your community. Does Bella go to your meetings with you? I can't wait to meet her, as well as all of your neighbors, and see how you fit in to this new home....
    Feels like you are in the "working phase" now, and feeling connected and involved...so glad for you!

    ReplyDelete