Friday, June 18, 2010

One end and another beginning


Nearly one year ago I moved to Boston to work in a charter middle school as a tutor for five 6th graders. I lived with my co-workers and spent long days coaching, tutoring, completing administrative duties, and generally learning what it means to work in education. The learning curve was incredibly steep; not only were my 31 fellow tutors working in a school for the first time, but this was our initial exposure to a "no-excuses" school environment. We have spent nearly every minute together for 11 months and have grown together in indescribable ways; I can't believe it is now over, that we are all moving forward and continuing on our own journey that we have set for ourselves. Some tutors are going back to graduate school and many are teaching, but I have decided that this is the perfect time in my life to move abroad.

The idea of working internationally entered my mind in the Fall, yet I did not apply to the Peace Corps until February. From that point forward, everything has been somewhat of a blur. I interviewed in the Boston office on March 5th, was immediately nominated, and invited to serve the day before my birthday, June 7th. I will be moving to the Dominican Republic on August 18th to work as a Youth Development Promoter, and I can't wait for the adventure ahead. It is a strange feeling, to know that in two months everything is going to change. I have no idea what I will learn, who I will meet, or how I will change. All I can do is smile and trust that it will be a grand adventure. Before my departure, I will be busy spending time with family and friends. Besides learning Spanish, my priority for the summer is to cherish all the "small" moments with everyone I love... sounds like a good way to spend the summer to me!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've started a blog already Merry! I look forward to reading every one and hearing about all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry I am so glad you have this blog!

    It's so weird with you gone - we all miss your smile so much.

    Hope you are embracing all the small moments and every moment you feel a little chilly - probably won't get too much of that in the DR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on embracing such an epic adventure. I hope that the best of times are ahead of you and that you can always find yourself at home. Learning and teaching are entangled on a fundamental level and this could be an awesome opportunity to see it. Enjoy the journey and know that how you get there matters. It was wonderful to meet you in the fair Portland summer. I'll be sailing on Friday and enjoying my own send-off on Saturday and it would be wonderful to see you there. You can find all of the info on my facebook at reitan@pdx.edu. Hit me up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sme i miss you and wish you well on your PC assignment! i can't wait to come visit you in the DR once you get settled :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry!! I love the blog! I will send you an e-mail soon as I have an update. I am so relieved to hear about your wonderful host family. Let us know if there is anything we can send in our first package that would be helpful. Maybe your dad can send your dolphin down. :) Miss you more than I can say. Take care and enjoy your learning oasis! I will think of you as I am teaching here in Winslow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Merry! I am relieved that all is well with you and your host family. It sounds like life will be an adventure. Please keep us posted on your experiences and continue to see life so purely! Your host family will adore you and learn so much from you! Good luck with your assignment. The pumpkin sounds great.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete