Saturday, August 21, 2010

First Impressions

I have now been in Santo Domingo for approximately 48 hours and it feels like it's been over a week. Meeting 58 new people, driving through the streets of Santo Domingo, moving in with a Dominican family -- our two days have been packed with excitement!! Since the moment we landed, everyone has been incredibly nice. Such generosity began the moment we walked out of the airport, as many current PC volunteers were yelling with signs, taking pictures of us, as we walked outside.

Everyone has been incredibly supportive and kind, yet the shock of everything changing still came and hit hard. All the little necessities of daily living take longer to accomplish.

The PC training center is a bit north of Santo Domingo on a gorgeous piece of land that is filled with fruit trees and outdoor classrooms. It's set just a quarter mile from a crazy busy road filled with motorcycles, guaguas, taxi cabs, etc. Amidst the chaos from the main street you enter this heavenly oasis where we get to learn. I feel very lucky to be here.

My host family is really nice... the father is intrigued by the US and loves American movies. We spent a long time last night talking about American actors -- well it was actually more me trying to translate the names of American actors with a strong Dominican accent. I learned that my Don loves the Ace Ventura: Pet Detective movies. While we were brokenly conversing about American actors my host Dona was cooking dinner. What did she cook? PUMPKIN!! Seriously, large squares of steamed pumpkin, plus some eggs. I was so happy!!! Then, lastly, there are 3 children, though only 2 live at home. The sole daughter is 18 and she just graduated from high school. She plans to go to the local university in January for pyschology. She has already felt like a savior, as she can tell when I don't understand something and she will speak slowly so that I can follow conversations. Myelin also loves stuffed animals. Who would have thought that I would first bond with my host daughter by telling her about my stuffed dolphin. Her stock of stuffed animals certainly outnumber mine and they all are meticulously placed on her bed. There are also two pets at the house: Obama, the parrot, and la nina, a turtle.

Well I think that provides a general overview of everything going on around here. I miss everyone dearly and hope that all is well in the US.

4 comments:

  1. I can't hardly imagine what you are experiencing right now...so many things to adjust to and learn! Sounds like you're off to a great start with your host family...pumpkin on your first day...who would have thought? Thanks for keeping up this blog Merry. It's so great to be able to start picturing your life there!
    miss you tons!
    ~mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Merry! I really enjoyed the read. You are so lucky to be in such a beautiful place. I can't wait to see pictures of the school! Too bad you didn't bring your pumpkin cook book - you could have cooked your host family a nice little pumpkin cookie! Finally, I love how one of the stuffed animals is named Obama. That's inspiring.

    MISS YOU!!!!

    Your redheaded amiga,

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry,

    I am so glad that you are maintaining your blog; it is wonderful to share in your adventure through the blog. How beautiful and interesting it all sounds.

    I watched an episode of "Man vs. Wild" yesterday where the man was dropped just off the coast of the Dominican Republic and he had to find his way to civilization. I even got to see one of those big tarantulas that you told me about.

    I look forward to following your many adventures.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry,
    I love how you introduce Dolphineus to everyone! He is so well known. It seems like you are fitting right in with your host family. I'm so glad.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete